It didn’t take long after starting to play around with mini skeins for me to think of the idea that lead to my first pattern collection “Pomballs”. There was a match made in heaven, right? Right.
This hat has lots of subtle details that really please me: the way the two levels of ribbing point at the colourwork lines, the crisp contrast cast-on edge. But let’s be frank: the main bit of attention-stealing fun is that reversed colour pomball!
If you’ve never done a pomball before, they’re super simple – just a knitted ball lightly stuffed. But they’re also long-lasting. They’ll stand up well to use and keep coming back for more, which isn’t always true with pompoms.
- To fit: 18 (20, 22, 24)” / 46 (51, 56, 61) cm circumference
- Approximately Child (Small, Medium, Large)
•knit and purl
•knitting in the round
- Approximate Yardage Fingering Weight: (with a 15% buffer)
- MC: 163 (192, 240, 282) yds. / 148 (175, 217, 257)m
- CC: 27 (33, 41, 48) yds. / 25 (30, 27, 44)m
- darning needle
- stitch marker
- small amount of stuffing
- needles: US 2 – 2.75 mm, US 4 – 3.5 mm, US 000 – 1.5 mm needles for working in the round (magic loop OR short circular + DPNs OR DPNs) or size needed to get gauge
Definitely check out the versions my testers made – lots of great colour inspiration!